Friday, August 28, 2020

2020 #109-UP CLOSE & PERSONAL W/ AUTHOR KENYATA GARNER




                                                             I started writing when I lived overseas in Europe. I was 11 years old and I really just loved telling stories during "Show and tell." I know sounds crazy but I literally wrote short stories for every show and tell. My teacher Mr. Fitzgerald thought it would be good for me to expand my skills so I joined the young authors club. That's when I wrote my very first book. From there I've been writing and creating ever since. For me its how I create, how I contribute to the world. Through writing, music, art. I love all things creative.


                                                                    The topic of this book: Birds Don’t Swim In The Winter, was important to me because I see so many kids, teenagers struggling with life and they all have so many stories to tell. Some good, some bad. I've also seen so many people quieted or told to sit down and shut up. Their stories forever lost to the weight of their families, society, friends, and even jobs. Its hard. I struggled a lot during my teen years with depression and so forth so it was important for me to give a voice to not only the main character but the other main characters struggling with their own demons. My book deals with a plethora of emotions and situations that I wholeheartedly feel we need to talk about. As a black woman, I was always told "What goes on in this house, stays in this house." I've also fell victim to when bad things happen, and you're forced to watch the person get away with it for the sake of saving "our black men." When in reality, it should never be about that. Not to give the book away but it deals with a lot.

It shows the strength and power in friendship as well as when friendships fall apart. It shows the power one has if they simply choose to push on and push past their own limits to make it to the other side. Not everything will turn out the way you want it, and sometimes it doesn't need to. You can push and push and push even past your own negative traits to find a better you waiting on the other side.

The synopsis and the book trailer are both on my website at


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AAALAC 🌟 Celebrating an Inspirational Queen for International Women's History Month! 🌟 Lateshia Shanette Lane

   👑 Celebrate the amazing Queen, Lateshia Shanette Lane, for International History Month! From a young girl in Valdosta, GA to a successfu...