Friday, November 13, 2020

2020 #162-UP CLOSE & PERSONAL W/ AUTHOR Marlena “Zen Ase” Johns





My life, like society and even history itself, has been defined by the tug of war between chaos and peace. It seems the whole struggle of humanity is one of finding balance- to escape from purposelessness and confusion, and find fulfillment and wholeness.  Theologians would say, “There is a heaven to gain and a hell to shun.” Philosophers would tell us that both lie within, based on our decisions, our focus and our perceptions. For me, tranquility is personal. Zen is the name I’ve been called for years by family and friends who consider me “unflappable”, placid or at the worst stoic. Ase is the tribute to my African ancestry and all those who came before on whose shoulders I stand. A Yoruba word with so many meanings- my living words shape the world, be still and meditate, and so be it. Together, these two-  Zen Ase - encapsulate my destiny, to use my words both spoken and written to honor my heritage and bring comfort to the world.  Tranquility is both my goal, and my anchor, writing itself my tribute and my gift. .

And who am I ?

A poet, a seeker of truth, a 50 year old twice divorced black woman who has lived an adventurous life, raising twin sons and teaching high school for twenty-five years. I was Teacher of the Year for AHS in 2011-2012 and 2016-2017, a Claes Nobel Educator of Distinction and a University of Chicago Distinguished Educator. One of my plays was performed at a local community center. I’ve performed poetry more times than I can count at over 50 venues, hosted and organized over 60 live music, comedy and poetry shows,  Laughz and Lyrics, to both handfuls of adoring fans and wall to wall, standing room only crowds and been honored with a Congressional Award for activism. My poetry and prose can be found in over a dozen anthologies and magazines including:  Let’s Talk about Being Human, Selfhood, Restless, Five 2 One magazine, Caravel and  Switchback.My first self-help mini book  Attract Abundance by Revamping your Mindset was published with the launch of my Afrocentric and inspirational apparel and housewares line Awakened Verses.

Probably like everyone else in the world, Covid made me pivot. As I moved away from the live shows temporarily, I sought a new avenue of service and launched Zennurgy,  the interactive toolbox with resources for building a better life. This podcast focuses on small changes that lead to big results. The ABC's of Zen simplify evolving as a person by focusing on one concept a week (in alphabetical order) and exploring how that idea, trait, attitude, or habit can promote positive change. Topics like: Abundance,  Access and Accountability,  Action, Authenticity and  

Adaptability is explored through interviews, anecdotes, and discussions. As a rape and domestic violence survivor, I know healing, change and growth are all possible.

Join me. www.laughzandlyrics.com   https://linktr.ee/zenase  zapohtx@yahoo.com

Marlena “Zen  Ase” Johns













 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AAALAC 🌟 Celebrating an Inspirational Queen for International Women's History Month! 🌟 Lateshia Shanette Lane

   πŸ‘‘ Celebrate the amazing Queen, Lateshia Shanette Lane, for International History Month! From a young girl in Valdosta, GA to a successfu...